Sadly due to unforeseen circumstances we have CANCELLED the One-Day Conference - Sickness and Health: 1830-1900 which was planned for Saturday, October 1, 2016 at Northminster United Church.
Unfortunately, our One-day Conference entitled "Wotchergot?" planned for Saturday, June 18th was cancelled due to lack of interest by the intended presenters. We still believe the idea "An examination of the genealogical resources of the Kawartha area provided by the people who hold the resources. (Kawartha Area: the current and former counties of Haliburton, Northumberland, Peterborough and Victoria - and some of the nearby areas!)" is a good one and will perhaps try again at a later date - different time of year perhaps.
Annual Bus Trip to the Archives of Ontario for a Research Day - Wednesday, April 20th, 2016. We had a great day at the Archives with 26 researchers in attendance. We are looking forward to next year's trip tentatively set for Wednesday, April 19th, 2017. Watch for updates and confirmation toward the end of 2016.
- December Seasonal Get Together - a small group gathered at Ricky's Restaurant in Peterborough - Wednesday, December 2, 2015 for a nice meal and good conversation.
- AGM (Annual General Meeting) - Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - de la Fosse Library, Peterborough - 7:00 pm. At the close of business we welcomed our Guest Speaker: Patricia Evans, a local author who spoke to us regarding her recent adventure into writing and publishing her Memoirs. Tricia read excerpts from her book "And That's The Way It Was - Tales of a Sawmiller's Daughter" and answered questions regarding her experience in writing and producing her book.
- Lang Pioneer Village Museum - Discovering the origins and traditions of Halloween with Historic All Hallow's Eve took place at Lang Pioneer Village - Friday, October 23rd and Saturday, October 24th - 5:00 pm to 9 pm. For more information, please visit their website at www.langpioneervillage.ca .
- 2nd Annual Kawartha One-Day Conference was held Saturday, October 3rd, 2015 at the Northminster United Church in Peterborough. The Conference theme this year was Military Settlers. Click Here to preview a Brief Outline and Time Table for this past event. We are looking forward to our 3rd Annual Kawartha One-Day Conference to be held in the fall of 2016. We will update the home page as we confirm details.
- Smith Ennismore Historical Society invited all to join them on the 18th of September for a bus tour to Cobourg, Trenton Air Force Museum and the Best of Prince Edward County.
- Lang Pioneer Village Museum - Historic Literary Walks of Lang: Words from the Wilderness took place - September 10, 11, 17, 19, 24 & 25th at Lang Pioneer Village. For more information, please visit their website at www.langpioneervillage.ca .
- September Meeting was held Tuesday, Septermber 15th - 7:00 pm at the de la Fosse Library. Guest Speaker - Dr Fraser Dunford. Topic: Ontario Land Records. Land Records in Ontario are complex, involving petitions, orders-in-council, location tickets, two Heir and Devisee Commissions, the Township Papers, patents, and extensive records once held by the Land Registry Offices. This talk was an introduction to all the resources.
- 2015 Beginner Genealogy Seminar - hosted at the Millbrook Public Library Tuesday, September 15th, 2015.
- 2015 Beginner Genealogy Seminar - hosted at the Douro/Dummer Library.Tuesday, September 22nd, 2015.
- June Meeting was held Tuesday, June 23rd - 7:00 pm at the Peterborough Public Library in the Computer Lab - Lower Level. Guest Speaker - Dr Fraser Dunford. Topic: Ontario Municipal Records. Ontario's Municipal history is complex. Finding municipal records is even more complex, yet they contain significant genealogical and historical information. This talk, by Dr Fraser Dunford, author of Municipal Records in Ontario, covered the history and growth of Ontario municipalities, the sorts of records municipalities kept, and where you may find these records.
- 2015 Beginner Genealogy Seminar - hosted at the Bobcaygeon Library - Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015.
- 2015 Beginner Genealogy Seminar - hosted at the Lindsay Library - Tuesday, June 16th, 2015.
- Quinte Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society celebrated their 35th Anniversary - Saturday, June 20, 2015. Check their website at Quinte Branch OGS.
- 2015 Beginner Genealogy Seminar - Excellent session held at the
Peterboorugh Public Library - Tuesday, June 2nd.
- May 29 to 31, 2015 - Barrie Ontario - Ontario Genealogical Society - Conference 2015
- Lang Pioneer Village Museum's season opened Tuesday, May 19th - check their website for the Season Schedule at - www.langpioneervillage.ca .
- 4TH LINE THEATRE Summer Season has been announced - check their website for the Season Schedule at - www.4thlinetheatre.on.ca .
- Early in the year a Call for Papers went out for speakers to present at our 2nd Annual Kawartha Conference scheduled for October 3rd, 2015. The deadline for submissions closed on April 30th.
- April is traditionally the month for our bus trip to the Ontario Archives. As per our February Newsletter, we requested anyone interested in going on the trip to please contact Alvina Seawright by March 1st, in order for us to review the numbers and decide if we would proceed with the trip this year. We did not receive a high enough response to warrant the arrangement of a bus, thus the trip did not take place in April.
- There were no meetings in January, February or March. Our Library collection continues to be available by appointment during regular business hours of the de la Fosse Library.
- Year End Dinner Get Together - Wednesday, December 3rd, 2014 at Ricky's Restaurant in Peterborough, Please contact Alvina Seawright to confirm your intention to attend so reservations can be adjusted accordingly.
- Kawartha Branch Annual General Meeting - Thursday, November 13th, 2:30 pm at de la Fosse Library - 729 Park St S, Peterborough.This meeting was a brain storming, round table discussion to review possible suggestions and changes to the business of the branch.
- One Day Conference - Entitled - "Getting Here" - Saturday, October 4, 2014 - Northminster United Church, 300 Sunset Blvd, Peterborough. Click Here to preview a Brief Outline and Agenda.
- 2014 Beginner Genealogy Seminars - held 1) June 17th - Peterborough Public Library 2) September 16th - Campbellford Public Library 3) September 18th - Bobcaygeon Library 4) September 23rd - Lindsay Public Library 5) September 26th - Douro Dummer Library
- Tuesday, May 20th - General Meeting - Change of Location - This meeting was held at the Peterborough Public Library - 345 Aylmer Street N, Peterborough. The Topic - Researching using the Peterborough Collection, Newspaper and Directory Collections. Note - this meeting is a lead in to the first of this year's series of Beginner Genealogy courses.
- May 1st-4th, 2014- Most of the Branch Council was in attendance at the OGS Conference in Niagara.
- April 23, 2014 - ANNUAL BUS TRIP TO THE ARCHIVES OF ONTARIO
- Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - General Meeting - de la Fosse Library, Park St S, Peterborough at 7:00 p.m. Guest Speaker - Mr Earle Gray, speechwriter, editorial consultant, publisher and writer. Mr Gray's talk was based on his book titled - About Canada "My God this is a Great Country!" - a wonderful book about our country and historical events that shaped this land. Mr Gray's very interesting topic of the evening was about the plight of the Irish Immigrants to Canada during two major events in time - the Cholera outbreak and the Potato Famine.
- Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - General Meeting - There will not be a meeting at the Library this month. Instead all members are welcome to join in to an OGS Webinar. As per the OGS e-Newsletter of March 8, 2014 - The February Webinar has been rescheduled to March 18 at 7 pm. This Webinar was open to all members - A Discussion of the standards used to evaluate evidence found in a variety of sources and documents.
- No General Meetings held during the month of January or February.
- December 10, 2013 - Season Social - 5:30 pm - Ricky's Restaurant - Lansdowne St. Peterborough.
- November 14, 2013 - General Meeting - Kawartha Branch members have been invited to be the guests of the Lakeshore Genealogical Society at 6:30 pm in the Rotary Room of the Cobourg Public Library. The Library is located at 200 Ontario Street, Cobourg at the intersection of King St. W., William St and Albert St.
- October 15, 2013 - General Meeting - 7:00 pm at the de la Fosse Library, 729 Park Street S, Peterborough. This meeting will be our Annual General Meeting.
- September 17, 2013 - General Meeting - CHANGE IN MEETING LOCATION - Please join us at the Peterborough Museum and Archives - 300 Hunter St E, Peterborough at 7:00 pm for a tour of the Archives facility and information on their holdings, followed by a tour of the Gallery where a special exhibit from the Canadian War Museum on the War of 1812
- Ois being held. The exhibit shows the War from four different perspectives, as seen by Canadian, British, American and First Peoples. Included in the Gallery display will be some new and interesting local information of the War from the Peterborough Museum and Archives holdings.
- Tuesday, August 27th, 2013 - at the North Kawartha Library in Apsley. Dr. Fraser Dunford past Executive Director of the Ontario Genealogical Society, and member of the Kawartha Branch OGS will present a beginners course on genealogical research. Dr. Dunford has lectured and written four books and several articles on genealogy, including the Beginners Guide to Genealogy and the Beginners Guide to Ontario Genealogy.
This free lecture will provide the information needed to get you started with your research.
- June 18, 2013 - General Meeting - Our Guest Speaker was Jean Bailey. In 1953 Jean was a 17 year old living on Scugog Island, when she and 50 other 16-17 year old girls from across Canada were selected by Canadian businessman and philanthropist Garfield Weston to attend the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. They became known as the Weston Girls.
- Friday, June 14, 2013 - at the Minden Hills Library, Agnes Jamieson Gallery Common Room, 176 Bobcaygeon Rd. Minden, Dr Fraser Dunford of the Kawartha Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society and author of several genealogical publications presented a beginners course in Genealogy.
- ARE YOU INTERESTED IN RESEARCHING AND STARTING YOUR FAMILY TREE?
Dr. Fraser Dunford past Executive Director of the Ontario Genealogical Society, and member of the Kawartha Branch OGS will present beginners courses on genealogical research at various locations throughout our Branch area. These free lectures will provide you with information needed to get you started on your research.
Dr. Dunford has lectured and written four books and several articles on genealogy, including the Beginners Guide to Genealogy and the Beginners Guide to Ontario Genealogy. Dr. Dunford will guide you through
THE BASICS - the family tree, family records, relationships, the importance of birth, marriage, death and census records and the recording of dates.
GETTING STARTED-guiding principles of genealogy, and the basics of keeping and citation of records.
- Wednesday, April 24th, 2013 - Annual Bus Trip to the Archives of Ontario - another successful Spring Bus Trip.
- March 19, 2013 - General Meeting - 7:00 pm at the de la Fosse Library, Park Street, Peterborough. Open House - Come and Explore our Library Collection and ask your genealogy questions.
- October 16, 2012 - General Meeting at de la Fosse Library - 200 years after the War of 1812 many genealogists are searching for the story of a family member that fought in battles that determined our Canada. - - - - Our Speakers for the evening - Bill Amell, Past Chair of Kawartha Branch and a member of the OGS War of 1812 Society along with Dave Aldus, Kawartha Branch member will speak on their genealogical and historical research bringing to life the interesting stories of two War of 1812 Veterans.
- September 18, 2012 - General Meeting at de la Fosse Library - In March of 2011 we had a seminar on writing family memoirs. At that time Patricia Smith, retired English teacher from Peterborough Collegiate Vocational Institute, presented the basics in writing a family story. We welcomed Pat back, to help both beginners and those that may have attended before, to explore more methods and to encourage us in Writing our Memories and Experiences. At our September meeting - the results of our Proposed Branch Bylaws vote were in and we were pleased to advise that the Bylaws were passed as presented and are now in place.
- June 19th, 2012 - General Meeting at de la Fosse Library - focus of the meeting was on the rewriting of the Branch Bylaws.
- Region VII Annual Meeting Day was hosted by Kawartha Branch.
Saturday, May 5, 2012 at Northminster United Church, Peterborough. Registration began at 9:00 am. Meeting commenced at 9:30 and a potluck lunch was set out near noon, followed by our afternoon speaker, Norman Vandenberg who has been a History teacher at Norwood District High School for the last 25 years spoke about the origin and evolution of the Civil War Re-enactment that is staged each year by the Norwood District High School students. Students dressed in period costume accompanied Mr. Vandenberg and participated in the presentation.
- April 25, 2012 - Spring Bus Trip to the Ontario Archives